www.dawltonbarn.co.uk

www.dawltonbarn.co.uk

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Committing to Big!



Having had some studio visits from friends and colleagues recently. I have been reminded of the need to engage with your work as a viewer and not just as the person who makes it. It is easy for thinking to become contained within the 'studio references' and not be wider, bolder, connected, multi-layered and bigger than intention and process.

Imagining myself as a viewer approaching my work, I was challenged to not just give an intimate up close selective experience. But rather ask: 'What if the work was present and greater in scale?' the impact being physical and visceral as well as ocular.

So be it.... I started getting bigger.

The series of 50x 50 cm gesso panels will be taken to Brighton Art Fair along with several 1 metre sqaures. Larger work can be seen in London at the Palace Art Fair in October, where I will have a bigger stand to take the bigger work.

No comments:

Post a Comment